Alligator River National Wildlife Refuge, Peter Mashoes Creek and Pea Island National Wildlife Refuge:
All three of these tours meet at the Walgreens at mile post 9 on Rt. 158 (1200 S Croatan Hwy). This is 1 mile south of the Wright Brother’s National Park on the west side of Rt. 158.
FOR THOSE MEETING US AT THE ALLIGATOR RIVER NATIONAL WILDLIFE REFUGE, take 64 W over bridges to Roanoke Island, stay straight over Virginia Dare Bridge to small town of Manns Harbor, continue 10 minutes past blinking yellow light, look for large sign on right (Buffalo City Rd – Paddling Trails 2 miles), make next left 1/10 of mile and continue 2 miles to end of dirt road, you have gone too far on 64 if you see a white church/ community center, you can make a U turn behind this building and backtrack to Buffalo City Rd.
PEA ISLAND NATIONAL WILDLIFE REFUGE:
From Nags Head and points north
1) Rt. 158 E to mile post 17
2) stay in left lane and pick up signs for Rt. 12 S Hatteras Island/ Ocracoke.
3) left 12 S
4) continue past the Bodie Island light house and up and over the Oregon Inlet
6) continue 6 more miles to mile post 34
7) right into New Inlet parking lot @ mile post 34, this is a 1/2 of a mile past new inlet formed during hurricane Irene (2011)
8) park in spaces on left designated for cars
You may also inquire about transportation to this tour from the Walgreens at mile post 9 in Kill Devil Hills
From Rodanthe and points south
1) 12 N
2) 4 miles past Rodanthe to mile post 34
3) left into New Inlet parking lot @ mile post 34
4) park in spaces on left designated for cars